Purity & Insanity

FanFiction Archive

Coffee and Thoughts - A Cup of Coffee

She had agreed to meet Angel for coffee. What had she been thinking? Angel was Buffy's boyfriend, or, sort of boyfriend. At the very least, Buffy wanted him to be her boyfriend. Which should mean that Willow should leave Angel alone.

Except... Angel was too alone. Besides, it wasn't really a date, they would just be having coffee, maybe talking a bit. It wasn't as if she were stealing him away from Buffy. Did Buffy even have Angel? Buffy wanted to have Angel. Would her friend be angry that she was having coffee with Angel and Buffy wasn't? But then, shouldn't Buffy had set a date for her and Angel to have coffee instead of just saying that she would think about it?

Willow sighed in frustration, and collapsed backwards onto her bed. She gave herself headaches trying to figure out why people did or didn't do things. She could follow the theory, but when it came to deciphering a particular person, then things got tricky. Buffy didn't actually make sense overall. She was chosen to defend people from horrible things that people didn't believe existed. She was convinced that this made her special, that the normal rules didn't, shouldn't apply to her. Then, she would turn around and claim that she wanted a 'normal life'. The two simply weren't compatible. Buffy couldn't have things both ways.

Coffee with Angel. She had agreed to meet him for coffee, to spend time talking with him. Smiling, Willow let her mind wander to the possibilities, however unlikely. She was smiling and by the time the actual time came for their cup of coffee, she was looking forward to things, even if it ended up being no more than an hour or so in the quiet company of a handsome man.

She made her way to the coffee house, loitering in wait for Angel, who showed up about twenty minutes later. Smiling, Willow gave a small wave, which enabled Angel to find her.

"Hey. Umm... are you sure that coffee would be a good idea?" Angel's voice was a bit quite, and he sounded as if he was on the edge of brooding.

Willow blinked, her mind momentarily drawing a blank as to why coffee might be a problem for Angel, then realizing that it might not set well in his system, considering that he was a vampire. Could vampires even drink coffee? "Go ahead and get some, if nothing else it will warm up your hands to hold a hot cup of coffee."

Angel seemed to turn the idea over in his mind, and gave a slight nod, as if coming to a decision. He went to the counter, and returned with a steaming cup of coffee, the scent carrying a hint of almond to it, exactly like hers smelled. Giving her an almost smile, he slid into the seat across from her, his hands both wrapped around the coffee mug.

His expression was almost blissful. "Warm... oh, that feels so good. I can't remember how long it's been..."

That didn't make a lot of sense to Willow. This was California, how cold could he have been? "Angel? Why would it be a long time since... since your hands felt warm?"

"Basic biology, how is body heat spread through the body?" Angel's eyes seemed so intent, as if this was something that she should already know.

"Well... um, digestion and the chemical breakdowns create an exothermic reaction, causing heat, which is regulated by the blood flow... oh. So, umm... bad circulation means you feel cold?" She should have known that, really, it was only logical. And since he was dead, he wouldn't have any circulation. How did he keep from clotting? And that was just a gross thought. Maybe it was the lack of air contact?

"Exactly. With most, " He glanced around, and his mood almost visibly dimmed as he was reminded of all the people around them. "a hot, fresh meal brings in the temperature, and we... they feel warm, for a while. Part of the whole appeal, that and the emotional rush, the feelings in the blood..." His voice trailed off, and he looked as if he was brooding again.

"I suppose that makes sense... hold the coffee, the heat will seep into your hands. Part of the appeal of hot cocoa in the winter and fall, having it warm up cold hands. Warms from the inside out if you drink it, which I'm not sure if you can, with your assorted food allergies." She could feel the babbling begin. Oh dear, oh dear, the last thing she needed to do was babble at Angel.

Angel raised the cup, inhaling the fragrant steam, his eyes partly closed, reminding Willow of a big cat smelling something interesting. he almost expected him to growl playfully and bat at... whoa, come back from there. Angel is not a cat. Carefully, he took a small sip, letting it roll around in his mouth, tasting the flavor, memorizing it, letting the heat soak into his mouth before sliding down his body.

"I think... I can drink a little. Maybe I'll just have to take a little while it's hot, pass the cup to you, and get another hot cup?"

"Are you teasing me? I'm really not supposed to have a lot of coffee... but... Angel, you need a friend. Since nobody else seems to want he job, I'm volunteering. As your friend, I will cheerfully help you come to know the joys of coffee."

They spent the next two hours talking about music and history, drinking hot coffee and gesturing for emphasis. It was amazing how much more normal he looked when he wasn't brooding, or lurking in a shadow somewhere.

She hadn't known that it could be so fun to spend time with Angel. "Maybe we should do this again some time. Hey, Angel? Do you still feel cold?"

"No. I feel pretty good, actually. I'd like to have coffee with you again."

Smiling, Willow bounced to her feet, the caffeine leaving her feeling hyper. "Wonderful. Anytime should be good, unless we have a big research going on... You're a lot nicer than people think." She gave him an impulsive, quick hug before practically dancing out the door, feeling all skittery and giddy inside.

On to 'Bitter Brew'

Back to archive