Purity & Insanity

FanFiction Archive

Understanding

Part 2

Willow and Angel enjoyed each other's embrace for a while longer. Finally, Angel moved slightly. He craned his head to look down at Willow. "Did you want some of that ice cream Cordy bought?" He asked.

Willow nodded. "There is no ill that can't be cured with peanut butter and chocolate!"

Angel winced.

"Oh, what did I say?" Willow asked worriedly, seeing the emotions evident on Angel's face.

Angel shrugged.

"No, tell me. That's what I'm here for," Willow insisted.

Angel sighed, needing to tell someone about that wonderful day with Buffy. He nodded, making the decision to talk to Willow. "Come on, I'll tell you over ice cream," he promised.

* * * *

"Oh God. So you gave up being human for her and now she's …" Willow trailed off. She got up and put her arms around Angel, who stiffened up slightly but didn't protest the contact. "I'm so sorry Angel. But … you don't know that this wouldn't have happened sooner if you hadn't."

"I know. And I have no regrets," Angel said softly.

"But …"

Angel hung his head. "But, I can't help thinking about what it would have been like if I'd kept it."

Willow frowned. "I don't know what to tell you, but I think there are always going to be `what ifs' in life. That's part of being human."

"But I'm not," Angel retorted, digging a spoon into the melting ice cream.

Willow almost growled at him. "Stop that. You're more human than most people! And don't tell me you aren't! I've met so-called humans who have less humanity than you!"

Angel held up his hands in surrender. "Okay, okay. I won't say that anymore."

"Good."

Angel had to laugh at the self-satisfied smirk that graced Willow's lips. "So you've demolished the ice cream. Now what?" Angel asked.

"Me? You certainly helped Mr. I-Don't-Eat-Real-Food!" Willow retorted.

The two were silent as they cleaned up the kitchen. "Angel? Does it make you feel guilty to laugh and be happy?" Willow asked once they were done.

Angel sat down on the sofa. "Now or in general?"

Willow shrugged. "Now I guess."

"Kinda. But we have to move on, Willow," Angel said. "I've been preparing myself for this day since I fell in love with her. Every time I heard your voice, or Giles' on the other end of the phone I would think 'This is it. She's gone'."

"Oh, Angel, I'm sorry. I never thought... never realized..." Willow bit her lip and then sighed. "I guess I never really faced it. All those times when we've beat the baddie with only cuts and scrapes. But... this time death was her gift."

"What?" Angel asked, surprised.

"That's what the spirit of the first slayer told her. Death is her gift. None of us ever considered that it could mean … what it did," Willow admitted.

Angel nodded again.

The two were sat silently, each lost in their own thoughts.

Willow turned to Angel. "I should be going home soon. We need to fix the Buffybot so no one knows what's happened."

"I should thrash Spike for even thinking about making a Buffybot!" Angel growled.

"Hey! If he hadn't we'd all be in a very bad situation right now! Buffy is the only thing that keeps the Hellmouth under control! Although what she was made for is really gross, I'm glad Spike made Warren do it!" Willow stated.

Angel managed a smile. "That's one of the things I like about you, Willow, you always see the silver lining."

Willow shrugged. "Somebody's got to do it and it certainly isn't you, Mr. Broody-pants!" Willow said playfully.

* * * *

"Thanks for coming, Willow," Angel said.

"No problem. If you need anything, you call, understood?" Willow asked, giving Angel a hug.

"Understood. That goes for you too," Angel replied.

Willow nodded. "I promise. Do you think you'll want to come see …"

Willow trailed off sadly.

Angel looked thoughtful. "I don't know. If I do, I'll let you know, okay?"

"Okay. Bye Angel." Willow said as she headed for the stairs. She turned and gave a little wave before she walked out the door.

"Bye Willow. Take care."

PREVIOUS TBC...

Back to archive